Ana Kuzmanić is a professor in the Department of Theatre at Northwestern University. She is Yugoslav-born costume designer for theatre and opera.
Ana's design work was seen in numerous opera houses across the US including multiple premieres at the Metropolitan Opera. She exhibited in People's Republic of China, Russian Federation, Mexico, as well as many other countries across Asia, Europe, and North America.
She made her Broadway debut with the Pulitzer and Tony Award-winning play August: Osage County by Tracy Letts. Her acclaimed costume design was an amalgamation of American realism, absurdism, and the Gothic.
Kuzmanić's other Broadway credits include Desire Under the Elms with Brian Dennehy, Carla Gugino, and Pablo Schreiber; Superior Donuts with Michael McKean; and The Minutes with Tracy Letts. Off Broadway credits include The Jacksonian with Ed Harris, Amy Madigan, and Bill Pullman.
Ana designed numerous world premieres in collaboration with Tony Award-winning directors Mary Zimmerman, Robert Falls, and Anna D. Shapiro. Internationally her design work was produced in Canada, Australia, UK, and Serbia.
A native of Former Yugoslavia, Ana earned her undergraduate degree in Costume and Fashion Design from Faculty of Applied Arts (Belgrade, Serbia) and an MFA in Theatre Design from Northwestern University (USA).
Ana teaches courses in theatrical figuration, analogue/digital drawing, costume design for performance and creative process.
- MFA Stage Design, Northwestern University
- BA Costume and Fashion Design, Faculty of Applied Arts and Design in Belgrade, Serbia
Recent Awards and Honors
- Helen Hayes Nomination for Outstanding Costume Design for Camelot, Washington, DC (2018)
- San Francisco Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle Award nomination for Best Costume Design for Treasure Island (2017)
- Joseph Jefferson Award nomination for Costume Design for Treasure Island (2016) and Steadfast Tin Soldier (2019)
- American Theatre Wing Henry Hewes Design Award nomination for Best Costume Design for The Jacksonian (2014)
- Joseph Jefferson Award for Costume Design for Comedy of Errors (2008)
- Drama Desk nomination for Outstanding Costume Design for August Osage County (2008)
- Michael Maggio Emerging Designer Award (2007)