Schwoch has held visiting professorships in Finland on three occasions. He was a resident fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies from 1997-1998. Additional agencies and institutions supporting his previous and current research include the National Endowment for the Humanities, the National Science Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society, and the Fulbright Commission (Germany and Finland.) He is also a Northwestern faculty member or affiliate in the Program of Science in Human Culture; the Program of Environmental Sciences; the Buffett Institute for Global Affairs; and the Institute for Sustainability and Energy.
- PhD Radio/Television/Film, Northwestern University
- MA Radio/Television/Film, Northwestern University
- BA Communication Arts, University of Wisconsin
- Wired Into Nature: The Telegraph and the North American Frontier. Urbana: University of Illinois Press. 2018.
- Down To Earth: Satellite Industries, Technologies and Cultures. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. 2012. Co-edited with Lisa Parks.
- Global TV: New Media and the Cold War, 1946-1969. Urbana: University of Illinois Press. 2009.
- Questions of Method in Cultural Studies. Oxford (and Malden): Blackwell. 2005 (UK-ROW) and 2006 (USA). Co-edited with Mimi White.
- Writing Media Histories: Nordic Views. Jyvaskyla: University of Jyvaskyla Press. 1997. Co-edited with Raimo Salokangas and Kalle Virtapohja.
- Media Knowledge: Readings in Popular Culture, Pedagogy, and Critical Citizenship. Albany: State University of New York Press. 1992. Co-authored with Mimi White and Susan Reilly.
- The American Radio Industry and Its Latin American Activities, 1900-1939. Urbana: University of Illinois Press. 1990.