Carol Simpson Stern
Carol Simpson Stern has devoted over 25 years of her career to the improvement of higher education. She joined the faculty of the Department of Performance Studies at Northwestern in 1974 and served as its Chairperson from 1984-1993. Stern recently concluded a five-year term as Dean of The Graduate School. She is doing research and teaches courses on modern and contemporary American and British writers and their performance personae. She is associate editor of Text and Performance Quarterly. She also serves as a consultant to the Higher Education Commission.
- PhD English, Northwestern University
- MA English, Northwestern University
- BA University of Chicago (with honors, Phi Beta Kappa)
Recent Awards and Honors
- Associated Student Government Faculty and Administration Honor Roll, 2014
- Galbut Outstanding Faculty Award, 2009.
- Stern, Carol Simpson and Bruce Henderson. Learning to Perform: An Introduction. Evanston: Northwestern University Press, 2011.
- Fox, Jay C., Carol Simpson Stern, and Robert S. Means. Arthur Symons, Critic Among Critics: An Annotated Bibliography. Greensboro, NC: ELT Press, 2007.
Recent Grants and Funding
- Major grant recipient: “Preparing Future Faculty.” Co-sponsored by the Association of American Colleges and Universities and the Council of Graduate Schools. Funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts.
- 308 Performing Modern and Contemporary Poetry
- 328 Performing James Joyce
- 338-0 Family Stories, Memoirs, and Diaries
- 425 Critical and Aesthetic Principles
- 412 Performance in Inpidual Literary Styles