Frequently Asked Questions

1. What role do advisors have in the School?

Each department has its own professional advisors, who are experts in everything relating to your academic requirements: credit checks, degree requirements, which professors teach which classes, etc. These advisors are available to meet with you as frequently as you would like, to help you plan your classes, address any of your academic questions, and help you get the most out of your educational experience. In addition to these departmental advisors, there are faculty advisors who serve as unofficial mentors for students. You are free to pick whomever you'd like as a faculty mentor, someone who perhaps shares your interests, or with whom you just feel comfortable talking. If you have any questions, feel free to contact any of the advisors.

2. What are the required classes?

Every major has three kinds of classes: major requirements, distribution requirements (across the university), and electives. Roughly one third of your classes fall into each category. During Wildcat Welcome, right before you begin your Fall Quarter as a first-year student, you will have access to peer advisors, group advising, and individual advising to give you all the information you need about how to register for classes, and which classes you should take. Throughout your undergraduate studies, you will also meet with your advisor, who will ensure that you take all the classes you need in the required areas.

3.  How do my AP/IB credits count toward my degree requirements? 

SoC allows up to 10 AP/IB credits to count toward distribution or elective requirements. Additional information on how these credits apply can be found at

4. How many students are in the School of Communication?

There are approximately 1,100 undergraduate students in SoC.

5. Where are classes held on campus?

In-person classes are pretty much divided between buildings at the northern-tip of campus (North Campus) and the southern-tip (South Campus). Typically—although this may vary occasionally—classes for Theatre, Radio/Television/Film, Performance Studies and Dance are held on South Campus. Classes for Communication Studies and Communication Sciences & Disorders are usually held on North Campus, although sometimes they meet on South Campus.

6. Is it difficult to double major or add a minor?

It is not difficult to add a major and/or minor in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences; however, there are no second majors within the School of Communication. The SoC offers minors in theatre, dance, sound design, film and media studies and human communication sciences. Your advisor can help you make decisions about second majors and minors once you arrive on campus.

7. What kind of jobs are available to School of Communication graduates?

Students who graduate from SoC get jobs in virtually any field. Because all of our majors teach you critical thinking skills and help you develop intellectually, you are qualified in many different areas. The jobs you decide to accept after you graduate will be limited only by your own interests. You will also have ample opportunities to do internships, which will help you gain experience and make the career choice that's right for you.

8. Who are some distinguished alumni?

SoC has distinguished graduates in almost every field. Learn more about our distinguished alumni.

9. What kind of internships are available to undergraduates?

There are a vast array of internships available to SoC students, in a variety of different areas and industries, and you're not limited to just the ones listed here. For more specific information, visit the Office of External Programs, Internships, and Career Services (EPICS).

10. How big are classes, typically?

It varies. Within SoC, the largest class is about 120 students - although such classes are rare - smallest can be about 10. Most are between 30-40 students. There are also many seminar and performance-based classes that will have 20 students or less.

11. Is it possible to switch majors? How easy/hard is it to transfer?

Within SoC, it's generally very easy to switch majors. The only exception is that the theatre program is capped at 100 students, in order to keep acting classes small. Given the high popularity of the program, this maximum is reached quickly, so switching to the theatre program can be tricky. Otherwise, it's rarely a problem to transfer into a new major—even outside the School of Communication. Inter-school transfers are very common at Northwestern, as students are expected to test a variety of interests. Of course, it's much easier to transfer majors/schools earlier in your NU career, so you have time to complete the necessary requirements for graduation—not all majors have comparable requirements so extra classes may be needed. Discussing your options with your adviser will ensure that the transfer process goes smoothly.

12. Is the Radio/Television/Film program more production oriented or theory oriented?

The program is very evenly blended to include both theory and production. You will have ample opportunity to explore each component of the major; so, if you're not sure which area you'd like to pursue, you have the ability to experiment to find your preference. If you are interested in theory only, and have no interest in learning production, you have the option of being a Film and Media Studies minor instead of a major, which will expose you solely to theory. To find out more, you can contact your advisor, or check out the Radio/Television/Film website.

13. What kind of research opportunities are available to undergraduates?

Getting students involved in research opportunities is a major priority in the School of Communication. Currently, students can do research for course credit through independent studies—arranged between you and a professor of your choice; research practica, in which you work in a faculty member's research lab; research seminars, for group research projects; or writing a senior honors thesis, a year-long individual research project of your choice. Professors also can apply for funding to hire undergraduate students to help them with their own personal research. There are also small grants available for summer and regular-year research projects.

14. What are the computing requirements?

The School of Communication does not require students to have a single type of computer (i.e. PC or Mac). Please see NUIT's recommended laptop hardware for PC and Mac. For R/T/F follow the "power user" section.

15. Where can I find the academic calendar?

The registrar's office maintains the university academic calendar.