Receiving Credit During the Academic Year
You can count up to four internship credits toward the 45 credits you need to graduate. The first credit applies to your major, and the other credits are counted as electives. The amount of credit earned depends on the number of hours worked per week. Students can receive one academic credit for each 8 hours worked per week at the internship location, up to four total credits. To receive credits for an internship, students will also attend a weekly internship class in addition to working at the internship location.
- 8 - 15 hours/week for one quarter = 1 credit
- 16 - 23 hours/week for one quarter = 2 credits
- 24 - 31 hours/week for one quarter = 3 credits
- 32 - 40 hours/week for one quarter = 4 credits
*You can choose to receive fewer credits than you are eligible to receive. For example, if you work 20 hours a week, you can receive 1 or 2 credits.
If you have elected to receive credit for your internship, tuition will be charged for any registration. Visit the Student Financial Services website for information about tuition rates during fall, winter, and spring quarter.
Receiving Credit During the Summer
Participating in the internship program can be a great way to earn credits during the summer! In addition, some employers require that you receive credit in order to participate in an internship.
Students can enroll in the internship program for 1-4 credits (see above for breakdown). To receive credit, students attend the weekly internship class and complete the related coursework. A letter grade is received for each credit.
For summer only, students have the option to receive 0 or .25 credits for their internship:
- Students can enroll in a 0 credit option over the summer. The experience will go on their transcript, and the organization will receive a letter indicating participation in a 0 credit program. Students do not attend class, but are required to complete an internship evaluation at the end of the experience. Students have access to an Internship Instructor should they need assistance during their internship. There is no cost to participate.
- If the internship host requires interns to receive credit, you can enroll in a .25 credit option, which fulfills the requirements of most organizations. Students do not attend the weekly class, but do submit a final reflection paper online and are in communication with the Internship Instructor during the experience.
If you have elected to receive credit for your internship, tuition will be charged for any registration between 0.25-4 credits. If you are enrolled in a 0-credit internship, no tuition/fees will be charged. Visit the Summer Session website for information about tuition rates.